Saint John Office of Religious Education offers a faith formation program for children in Grades 1 through 6. The program takes place on most Mondays from 6:00 pm – 7:15 pm, beginning in mid-September and running through May. Classes meet primarily in the St. John School classrooms. The program is based on the Ignatius Press “Faith and Life” Series and is supported by “Our Catholic Faith Delivered”. It includes an at home technology component and monthly gatherings of parents to assist them on their family faith journey.
Basic Program Goals include:
• To nurture each child’s loving relationship with Chris and His Church.
• To provide age appropriate and relevant religious instruction in compliance with the Catechism of the Catholic Church.
• To provide instruction and opportunities to take part in the Sacramental life of the Church
• To provide educational, communal, service, and spiritual opportunities to children, parents and families.
• To maintain a current media library of Catholic resources
Preparation for the sacraments is integrated into our Monday sessions and supplemented with family meetings. Preparation for First Eucharist is generally a two year program. Children are expected to attend religious education classes in First Grade. In the spring of second grade, most children will celebrate their First Reconciliation during the Lenten Season followed by their First Eucharist later in the spring.
Children with disabilities are welcomed and encouraged to participate in our faith formation programs. They will be mainstreamed into the Monday sessions as much as possible with necessary adaptations made as needed. Please call Ann McGinnis at (760) 436-0664 to discuss a program best suited for your child.