A message from Father Jim: The Spiritual Battle Upon Us
Mandated Reopening Guidelines and Practices
As you may already know, Bishop McElroy has stated that the public indoor celebration of the Eucharist is to begin once again on September 2, 2020. Bishop McElroy has asked us to follow the same guidelines as we did in May/June for indoor worship. Below you will find those temporary guidelines applied to Masses at St. John the Evangelist. At daily Mass seating will be self-serve while maintaining social distancing. For the time being:
- Please always observe CDC guidelines for safety. These include:
- Staying home if you feel sick or have pre-existing conditions which can cause the virus to be more harmful.
- Washing hands often and/or use hand sanitizer.
- Wear a mask during Mass or while in the church
- Maintaining social distancing (6 ft) between individuals or family units
- As we open, we expect fewer people at Mass than before the pandemic. We will need to disinfect the church after each Mass and so we have allowed more time between each Mass. The schedule will be adjusted as we exit this transition phase. Mass times are:
- Daily Mass Monday-Saturday: 8:00 am
- Saturday 5:00 pm primarily for seniors and handicapped;
- Sunday at 8:00 am and 10:00 am in English, 12:00 noon in Spanish
- For Sunday Masses a line will form for seating at the south main door of the church (just off the middle parking lot). Ushers will then guide congregants to appropriate seating.
- Seating for Mass will begin promptly 30 minutes prior to the start of Mass. As mandated by the bishop and the State of California no more than 100 people will be allowed to enter the church for any given Mass.
- Once maximum occupancy has been reached no additional people may enter the church. However:
- There is plenty of room outside the church for an additional persons. Speakers will be set up so you can hear the Mass and you may also stream the Mass on your mobile devices. Feel free to bring your own lawn or beach chairs and make yourselves comfortable while still maintaining social distancing.
- Or you may choose to sit inside your car and listen to Mass on FM radio at 95.1
- Holy Communion will be offered. Indoor Communicants are to proceed down the center aisle only and immediately exit through the atria doors (by the bathrooms). There will be several ushers to guide you so please keep a look out for them. Communion will be brought out for the parishioners outdoors.
- Also, we have drop boxes for any donations you’d like to make to the parish. You can’t miss them being a bright yellow. Please drop your donations or envelopes in them.
We trust that all will follow these guidelines to ensure a safe return to the Celebration of the Eucharist.
The Staff of Saint John the Evangelist
All Masses will continue to be on Livestream/YouTube if you still do not feel safe at coming to the live Mass
TEMPORARY MASS TIMES:
DAILY MASS (Monday-Saturday): 8:00am Indoor seating limited to 100 people, Outdoor area is open with speakers for listening. Communion will be brought out for those attending outdoors.
SATURDAY VIGIL MASS: 5:00pm Indoor seating limited to 100 people, Outdoor area is open with speakers for listening. Communion will be brought out for those attending outdoors.
SUNDAY MASS: 8:00am, 10:00am & 12noon (Sp). Indoor seating limited to 100 people, Outdoor area is open with speakers for listening. Communion will be brought out for those attending outdoors.
Dynamic Catholic: https://dynamiccatholic.com/
Formed.org information: Getting-Started-on-FORMED