All Masses have been cancelled.
Livestream (link below) of the Sunday 9:00am Mass will still take place for virtual viewing and will be posted for viewing at a later time as well, NO public attendance will be permitted.
Dear Friends in Christ,
Late last evening the priests of the Diocese received a letter from Bishop McElroy indicating some new actions to be taken in light of the coronavirus and the governor’s Stay at Home order. Most of them are common sense precautions and some only apply to the business portion of the parish. Here is a distillation of those that apply to worship and the sacraments.
- As is already the case, Mass is not to be celebrated publicly.
- Baptisms that cannot be postponed must be private and include only immediate family.
- Funeral Rites are limited to internment services at the cemetery with less than 10 people.
- Funeral Masses will be postponed until the virus is contained.
- All parish penance services (the big ones at Lent and Advent) are cancelled.
- Weddings are to be postponed or take place with less than 10 people.
- Easter sacraments are postponed until Pentecost.
- First Communions and Confirmations are postponed until the current crisis becomes clearer.
- Communion to the sick and home bound will be postponed but those who are sick may receive the Anointing of the Sick and Viatecum.
- Holy Water fonts are to be emptied (but here at St. John we have small phials of Holy H2O to go!).
Here’s what we can do at St. John.
- The church is open 7:00 am to 7:00 pm Monday through Saturday. Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament is available during those times. Please feel free to come and make a visit while observing the 10 person limit and maintaining social distancing.
- Confessions are available Saturday from 3:30 and again at 6:00 pm or by appointment. New confessional screens have been erected and confessions must take place using the screens. While waiting, please keep space between penitents.
- Please remember to Keep Holy the Sabbath by at least watching Mass and by making a spiritual communion. One may also want to include a family rosary or bible reading.
- Though all public Masses are cancelled, we will Livestream Mass Sunday, at 9:00 am. The replay can be watched later at any time for those who can’t watch live. Check out livestream.com/saintjohnslive for our Mass or visit https://mass-online.org/daily-holy-mass-live-online/.
- We are implementing new phone and food delivery ministries for the needy, elderly, and home bound. If you would like to volunteer making phone calls or dropping off food to the needy (there will be no physical contact) please leave your contact information at the parish office.
I know these are trying times but if we all pull together and keep the faith God’s words to us will be fulfilled. And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
God bless you all,
A Spiritual Communion
although I greatly desire it,
at this moment I am unable
to receive You in the
Most Holy Eucharist.
Therefore, I beseech thee, O Lord,
to bestow upon me mystically
all those graces I would
Fill me up until I am overflowing,
so that I may, in turn, share those graces
with the rest of the world.
Dynamic Catholic: https://dynamiccatholic.com/
Formed.org information: Getting-Started-on-FORMED